Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Drum Lighting Rig

The band I'm in is hoping to do shows in the near future and we want to leave some sort of impression on the audience. What's one thing smaller bands don't utilize [often]? Light rigs. Yeah we've seen bands spend $5 on multicolored Christmas lights and drape them on their amps, but that just won't cut it for us.

I decided to take it upon myself, along with the artistic insight of the other members to design a unique lighting rig.

First up: Drum Set

The drummer, Josh, likes the idea of a kind of ambient glow coming from the drums. At first I was thinking of just using those bright LED strips you can get from Adafruit, but after some thought I'm too afraid it'll look like this rather than the desired glow:

Then I thought back to a video I saw a while back from the insanely talented Jeri Ellesworth, where she was experimenting with electroluminescent (EL) wire.

I'm thinking that EL wire will give the glow we want, but there's only one way to find out. The next installment of this series will focus on my first experiments with the EL wire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment